MUJI, which started as a private brand of The Seiyu, Ltd. in December 1980 with only 40 products, has grown and now offers more than 7,000 products. Ryohin Keikaku was spun off from Seiyu in 1989 and became a manufacturer/retailer for the planning, development, production, distribution and sale of MUJI products, which include diverse necessities such as clothes, household articles and food.
- MUJI was established as a private brand of The Seiyu, Ltd.
(household articles: 9, food products: 31).
- Started selling clothes.
- Started wholesaling to tied stores.
- Opened the first directly operated store, "MUJI Aoyama" (103sqm).
- Opened outlets inside large Seiyu stores.
- Establishment of MUJI Business Department.
- Started overseas production and procurement
(comprehensive production in overseas countries).
- Accumulated know-how of overseas production and procurement
including factory direct orders and original distribution channels.
- Developed materials globally.
- Establishment of Ryohin Keikaku Co., Ltd.
- MUJI business transferred form The Seiyu, Ltd.
- Opened the first overseas store(London).
- Started Blue MUJI for products with further enhanced quality.
- Established RK Truck Co.,Ltd. Opened large one-floor store, “MUJI Lalaport”.
- Established Ryohin Keikaku Europe Ltd.
- Opened “MUJI Tsunan Campsite” which shares are registered
as over-the-counter shares of Japan Securities Dealers Association.
- Opened the first “Hanayoshi” flower shop.
- Obtained ISO9001 certification.
- Listed on the second section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- Opened “MUJI comKIOSK Shinjuku South Exit” shop.
- Promoted to listing on the first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Established MUJI.net Co.,Ltd.
- Opened “MUJI Yurakucho” and “MUJI Namba” stores,
which are designed to disperse information.
- Sales launch of MUJI’s glasses at MUJI Yurakucho and MUJI Namba.
- Established MUJI (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
- Established MUJI ITALIA S.p.A and MUJI Korea Co., Ltd.
- Received five gold product design awards
from International Forum Design in Germany.
- Held the first international design competition, “MUJI AWARD 01”.
- Opend “MUJI Tokyo Midtown” and the first US directly operated store, “MUJI SOHO”
- Opend “MUJI Shinjuku” and “MUJI Ginza Matsuzakaya”. Opened the first “MUJI to GO” shop.
- Relocation and renewal of MUJI Ikebukuro Seibu. Newly established MUJI Laboratory for Living
- 30th anniversary of MUJI
- Renewal to “FoundMUJI Aoyama” from “MUJI Aoyama”
- Opend the first store "MUJI Pavilion" in Malaysia