MUJI products originated in 1980 to create quality products at low prices for Seiyu retail stores as described by the catchphrase “Lower priced for a reason.” The basis of our product development is to create products that are truly fundamental to day-to-day life without any unnecessary complexity. To achieve this, we take a second look at often neglected materials, streamline the production process, and simplify packaging to create simple, beautiful products that people will cherish for years.
We have built on this concept from the beginning, delivering MUJI goods and services designed with both the consumer and the manufacturer in mind to realize our vision of a simple, pleasant life for people around the world. At Ryohin Keikaku, our focus is on bringing pleasure to people and beauty to their lives, as well as contributing to society, through the very businesses in which we engage.
As a company driven by this vision, we make three corporate pledges; focus on three priorities in our core product development; and follow three specific standards in manufacturing.
Three Corporate Pledges
- We will take on the challenge of global growth and development by engaging in fair and transparent business activities.
- We will identify and deliver new value and a new aesthetic in goods and services designed from the customer's viewpoint.
- We will offer the timeless idea of a simple, pleasant life to all of our customers and other stakeholders.
Three Product Development Priorities
- Selection of materials
- Streamlining of processes
- Simplification of packages
Three Manufacturing Standards
- Good Product Standards (Quality Standards)
- MUJI Code of Conduct for Business Partners: Environment, Labor, and Safety Management
- Prohibitions and Restrictions on the Use of Materials